Well winter is over and it's time to prep the boat for the season.
New equipment or repairs
Raymarine E7 GPS new last year... re-call due to problems with the touch screen. Sitting at west marine in Barrie where I purchased it from.
Also want to connect the wind instruments to the GPS so a little wiring to do
New house batteries I Surrett 2000 lead acid to be replaced with 3 AGM group 31's $250 each. A good price from the battery House in Barrie.
Wash and wax
Bottom paint is still in good condition and needs zero attention.
drain and refill the transmission.
Check the condition of the heater hoses going to the hot water heater and replace if nessary
Pay my dockage.
See the list isn't that bad lol
Washed last weekend will be waxing this weekend.. Also on standby, so I hope it's quiet so I can get some work done.
Wednesday, 7 May 2014
Tuesday, 6 August 2013
Mon Aug 5th
Well back home today after a 12 hour sail from Lions head to Penetangishene.:
Waited out the weather at Wingfield basin and in the Lions Head marina. That is actually a nice spot but really really expensive. One night with Hydro = $78 way over priced. Would have been better to anchour in the small bay there. Anyway, tried to cross the bay on Sunday from Wingfield but the ratio of 1 meter waves too 2 meter waves was too high so turned back and headed to Lions head for the day. Went in to town to get provisions for dinner and checked out the sand sculptures and horse shoe tournament on the way.
Set the alarm for 530am Monday morning set up the Genaker for the next day and went to bed at almost midnight. Had a few of the neighbors over for drinks. Up at 6am and out of the marina at 630. Kite up at about 730 and enjoyed a nice quiet down wind sail for about 4 hours and then the wind dropped and boat speed went bellow 3 knots about 20 nm out of Hope. Stopped in at hope to clean up the deck in a calmer environment and then motor sailed the remainder of the way to Penetanguishene.
Arrived at my slip at 8pm so 12 hr of sailing on this crossing about what I predicted :)
updated maps are pending a Google earth re-install
Well back home today after a 12 hour sail from Lions head to Penetangishene.:
Waited out the weather at Wingfield basin and in the Lions Head marina. That is actually a nice spot but really really expensive. One night with Hydro = $78 way over priced. Would have been better to anchour in the small bay there. Anyway, tried to cross the bay on Sunday from Wingfield but the ratio of 1 meter waves too 2 meter waves was too high so turned back and headed to Lions head for the day. Went in to town to get provisions for dinner and checked out the sand sculptures and horse shoe tournament on the way.
Set the alarm for 530am Monday morning set up the Genaker for the next day and went to bed at almost midnight. Had a few of the neighbors over for drinks. Up at 6am and out of the marina at 630. Kite up at about 730 and enjoyed a nice quiet down wind sail for about 4 hours and then the wind dropped and boat speed went bellow 3 knots about 20 nm out of Hope. Stopped in at hope to clean up the deck in a calmer environment and then motor sailed the remainder of the way to Penetanguishene.
Arrived at my slip at 8pm so 12 hr of sailing on this crossing about what I predicted :)
updated maps are pending a Google earth re-install
Friday, 2 August 2013
Aug 1st
Not such a nice day I needed to put some miles on so ended up motor sailing all the way to club island. Hey that was only the second full day of motoring so I think it has been a good trip so far, spent the night and a good part of the next day there exploring the beach for fossils etc and it was very productive, lots of pictures and found lots of what I call petrified wood. Some looked like the tree had a beetle or something that had bored in to it an the remains of the bug or the eggs were fossilized in the rock. cool
Left Club in the afternoon heading south to Tobermoy via flower pot island. Great sail may have caught some air once or twice...3-4 ft waves with 15-20 knots of wind close hauled makes for an interesting passage. Oh boat speed 6.5-7+ all afternoon :) with a major reef in the main just to keep the weather helm at bay.
Arrived in Tobermory and did the restaurant thing for diner and breakfast and decided to stay an addition night due to the captains laziness lol. Oh and the fact that the weather has changed and I am stuck on this side of the bay for another day or two. Winds are expect to be in the 20 knot range tomorrow so Sunday seems like the day to cross, 15 knots dropping to 10 later in the day .. and the 1.5 meter waves should have subsided by then
Attached are the additions to the route
Not such a nice day I needed to put some miles on so ended up motor sailing all the way to club island. Hey that was only the second full day of motoring so I think it has been a good trip so far, spent the night and a good part of the next day there exploring the beach for fossils etc and it was very productive, lots of pictures and found lots of what I call petrified wood. Some looked like the tree had a beetle or something that had bored in to it an the remains of the bug or the eggs were fossilized in the rock. cool
Left Club in the afternoon heading south to Tobermoy via flower pot island. Great sail may have caught some air once or twice...3-4 ft waves with 15-20 knots of wind close hauled makes for an interesting passage. Oh boat speed 6.5-7+ all afternoon :) with a major reef in the main just to keep the weather helm at bay.
Arrived in Tobermory and did the restaurant thing for diner and breakfast and decided to stay an addition night due to the captains laziness lol. Oh and the fact that the weather has changed and I am stuck on this side of the bay for another day or two. Winds are expect to be in the 20 knot range tomorrow so Sunday seems like the day to cross, 15 knots dropping to 10 later in the day .. and the 1.5 meter waves should have subsided by then
Attached are the additions to the route
So tomorrow out of here first thing and either sail to Windfield basin or down to Lionshead depends on the winds.................. how high they are...looks like a few good gusts tomorrow
73's
July 31 2013
Leaving little current and begining the trip south. Heading to West Mary isl to snorkel the wreck of the India.
water is clear but really cold compared the last few years. I am beginning to think that this summer is what our summer used to be like. Just not as hot as they have been over that last few years... so much for global warming lol....
Anyway caught the 4 pm bridge and had a quiet sail to W Mary for the night . Never stayed there before and with the south winds it will be a great place to stay.
Called in to the cruisers net in the morning and reported my position and Roy got rather excited that I was there to snorkel the wreck and went on for about 5 min about the wreck etc it was amusing.
Anyway the route for the day is attached. Actually a straight down wind sail from LC
Leaving little current and begining the trip south. Heading to West Mary isl to snorkel the wreck of the India.
water is clear but really cold compared the last few years. I am beginning to think that this summer is what our summer used to be like. Just not as hot as they have been over that last few years... so much for global warming lol....
Anyway caught the 4 pm bridge and had a quiet sail to W Mary for the night . Never stayed there before and with the south winds it will be a great place to stay.
Called in to the cruisers net in the morning and reported my position and Roy got rather excited that I was there to snorkel the wreck and went on for about 5 min about the wreck etc it was amusing.
Anyway the route for the day is attached. Actually a straight down wind sail from LC
Monday, 29 July 2013
July 29th 2013
Good morning..ok good afternoon..slept in today had a long weekend in Little current. I just don't sleep well unless I am on anchour these days :). Not such a bad thing eh? Left LC and was heading to Hog Isl or the beach at the Notch. Well after the fog and the rain cleared out, the winds came in from the southwest so decided to try and make the Benjamin's... winds speed 15 knots boat speed somewhere between 6-7 knots ..actually had to put a reef in the main ..a little too much weather helm. One of the great things about the north channel you can get winds like this without the 3-4 ft waves. Anyway ended up at Amenadroz Isl last night. Once you get in the islands the winds gets a little swirly and I have never been here before so made one tack and dropped the anchour. It has good holding and a nice little beach.
I will be here till tomorrow and then head back south with a stop in LC to top up on water and provisions.
and wine :)
Only on issue with this anchorage...deer fly's are plentiful.
Good morning..ok good afternoon..slept in today had a long weekend in Little current. I just don't sleep well unless I am on anchour these days :). Not such a bad thing eh? Left LC and was heading to Hog Isl or the beach at the Notch. Well after the fog and the rain cleared out, the winds came in from the southwest so decided to try and make the Benjamin's... winds speed 15 knots boat speed somewhere between 6-7 knots ..actually had to put a reef in the main ..a little too much weather helm. One of the great things about the north channel you can get winds like this without the 3-4 ft waves. Anyway ended up at Amenadroz Isl last night. Once you get in the islands the winds gets a little swirly and I have never been here before so made one tack and dropped the anchour. It has good holding and a nice little beach.
I will be here till tomorrow and then head back south with a stop in LC to top up on water and provisions.
and wine :)
Only on issue with this anchorage...deer fly's are plentiful.
Friday, 26 July 2013
July 26
A full day of sailing today winds were from the southeast which made a great day to move north, made Little current to wait out a front then on in to the north channel. No decision as to were yet by who knows. The winds are predicted to be south again after the storm passes so another opportunity to move west under sail. I will pick a place and spend a day or two there. Plan to be back in little current by next wed for yet another front. Then start heading home.
A full day of sailing today winds were from the southeast which made a great day to move north, made Little current to wait out a front then on in to the north channel. No decision as to were yet by who knows. The winds are predicted to be south again after the storm passes so another opportunity to move west under sail. I will pick a place and spend a day or two there. Plan to be back in little current by next wed for yet another front. Then start heading home.
Will up date this on wed.
Tuesday, 23 July 2013
Sailed most of the way from Snug Harbour to Wrights, had the Genaker up most of the way on almost a straight downwind run. Boat Speed was around 3-5 knots wind speed was from 5-10 knots less at times but managed to keep the kite in the air lol
The wind speed today at the marina topped 26 knots so the decision to stay an extra night was a good one.
Could not even get out on the dingy to do the rapids up the river.. very disappointing.
Tomorrow re-provision....ice, bread and something for this cold and then off to the Bustards or Thomas Cove for a couple of days of exploring and relaxing and maybe some fishing.
Subscribe to:
Posts (Atom)







